SeedsHereNow - Forum
adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Printable Version

+- SeedsHereNow - Forum (https://seedsherenow.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grow Show (https://seedsherenow.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Organic (https://seedsherenow.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production (/showthread.php?tid=350)

Pages: 1 2

adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - jrj420 - 06-18-2019

Hey I was just wondering what if anything my fellow organic heads are doing to achieve hightend terp production?? I'll tell my secret if you tell me yours!?

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Elka - 06-20-2019

How long have you been doing this?

Have you noticed that varying types of juices add specific flavors?

I have observed something similar, i never used juice but have noticed outdoor that's grown in close proximity to wild onions takes on that Allium flavor.

Cannabis is amazing in the way it teaches you so much if you're willing to listen.

I played with cane sugar in the past and had root problems but i probly used too much.

As far as tips for terps go, minimalism has served me well.

-Start with quality genetics(you are "here now" so you're set there) Big Grin

-I don't feed flowers and don't water em when they are finishing up

-Temperature plays a huge role and is Terpene specific but volatility is not to be overlooked as well

If you can smell it in the room, it's in the air and not the plant

Happy Growing

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - jrj420 - 06-20-2019

(06-20-2019, 06:04 AM)Elka Wrote: How long have you been doing this?

Have you noticed that varying types of juices add specific flavors?

I have observed something similar, i never used juice but have noticed outdoor that's grown in close proximity to wild onions takes on that Allium flavor.

Cannabis is amazing in the way it teaches you so much if you're willing to listen.

I played with cane sugar in the past and had root problems but i probly used too much.

As far as tips for terps go, minimalism has served me well.

-Start with quality genetics(you are "here now" so you're set there) Big Grin

-I don't feed flowers and don't water em when they are finishing up

-Temperature plays a huge role and is Terpene specific but volatility is not to be overlooked as well

If you can smell it in the room, it's in the air and not the plant

Happy Growing
Hey so I have been experimenting w this for a couple years. I'v used ferments, I've brewed small amounts in aact, and add it in very small amounts to my r o water... As for different types of fruits i have used wild berrys(srawberys, blueberry, blackberry mostly because theez all grow wild in my yard) apples, coconut water, cranberryjuice, pomegranate.. I like to brew a tea using a bit of fruit(in place of or along with a bit of molasses) i use it as carbs/sugars but there are also acids and a ton of other things that I think play a part... My conclusion is that it enhanced taste and smell for almost everyghing. I'v also noticed recently that some sources effect certain profiles more than others, possibly enhancing indvidual terps? Or it could have to do with wher the veriaty originates from or the climate it enjoys... I realize I'm probably creating more questions then answers here ha. Bottem line is I know it works now I wanna find out what works best, why it works and if specific things work better for specific plants. 
I have used other sugars and simple carbs other then fruit too. I think all your organic amendments play a role in your final taste and smell. As dose temps, rh, and light spectrum. Timing is big . Stress response is a big part of it too... What works on one plant dosnt always work on another so it dose make it hard to draw solid conclusions lol.  If anybody decides to try this my advice would be less is more in this case and also when trying to enhance terps deff use multiple anglesSmile 
Oh yeah I also apply a little water stress tho peronaly I've never noticed that help terps but have thot it helped frost things up some... But that's good to know that it might be helping my terps! Couple other things I am interested in; the effects of pests and what that dose to taste and smell, and light cycles(12/12 all the way vs descending times mimicking mother nature) also day and night temp swings... I could probably go on forever on this topic!

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Elka - 06-21-2019

Those seem like sound practices to me, bet you grow flames

"I have used other sugars and simple carbs other then fruit too. I think all your organic amendments play a role in your final taste and smell. As dose temps, rh, and light spectrum. Timing is big . Stress response is a big part of it too... What works on one plant dosnt always work on another so it dose make it hard to draw solid conclusions lol."

Damn right, there's not many people who want to do a run of all the same cut in order to test a theory that alot of people are just going to shit on when they express it anyway. I say more power to that individual for being the crab that escapes the bucket, learns something and progresses forward.

"Oh yeah I also apply a little water stress tho peronaly I've never noticed that help terps but have thot it helped frost things up some... But that's good to know that it might be helping my terps! Couple other things I am interested in; the effects of pests and what that dose to taste and smell, and light cycles(12/12 all the way vs descending times mimicking mother nature) also day and night temp swings... I could probably go on forever on this topic! "

The way i see it is more resin=more terps. Seems like a mathematical thing as long as the genetics are able to produce them and they are not lost to the environment.

Pests, i know alot of people do not want to believe this but i have found it to be absolutly true and have not seen a variety that it does not apply to(and i have seen my fair share of plants). Cannabis really shines brightest when abused or neglected a bit. The exceptions to this is too much/little light, too much water or being severely dryed out to the point of wilting. Bug, animal, wind damage all make the plant better as far as i have seen, tasty, potent, strong plants with character.

Oppositely, i have seen potentially great crops ruined over mites in late flower when if they just let it go and not sprayed water all over it trying to drown the little bastards they would have had a ugly but tasty and potent end product. I think the plants react to the biting by trying to make themselves unpalatable to the biter but end up making it delicious to the smoker.

You got my wheels turnin man. This talk about pulling up flavors through the roots has me thinking about that skunk book and how everyone wants that roadkill out there. See where i'm going with this,just another organic amendment, right? May wanna do that outdoors though. Sure glad i dont have to go to such lengths for skunk.

If someone were to test the shortcut above by planting a Skunk#1 over a dead skunk and grew out some RoadKill then someone motivated enough could find a bland but frosty potent variety(WW) and make it taste like anything they grow it on and win all the worthless cups they want. Just a stoner thought.

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - jrj420 - 06-21-2019

If it were only that simple lol...
So part of the thot process behind adding fruits is; late summer and early fall is when all the berrys (that don't get eaten by me or the birds) and apples fall, decompose, fertilize the sourounding soil... I for obvious reasons try to compost as much of my plant matter as possible. I will say that iv never noticed it to alter the smell only enhance what terps were there already

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Elka - 06-22-2019

that onion thing i mentioned happened to a Lemon Skunk and it sure pissed off some folks, they thought it was a different variety

also Breeder Steve mentioned on the Potcast that he hit one of DJ Shorts joints that tasted like beets and DJ confirmed that he grew it with his beets that season

maybe it's a root vegetable thing, who knows, great topic j

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Elka - 06-26-2019

you inspired us j, we cleaned the mulberry tree before the birds could get em this weekend

instead of making wine with em this year we are going to steal your idea

the birds can have the blackberries though

thanks

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Dirtdiggler - 07-15-2019

I like to use bananas and molasses. Before that I’ll use a little cane sugar to help slow down any residual previous fertilizers without losing beneficial microbes. After that I’ll treat with the fermented product after I let it brew for a bit. Coconut water is loaded with enzymes as well. So I’ll throw a little of that in too. It helps achieve a good fade. I do this up until 2-3 weeks before the harvest.

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - jrj420 - 09-08-2019

Hey curious if anybody has tryed any variation of this and how the results went... Dirtdiggler sounds like you have a good system? I brew all sorts of crazy stuff into teas.. Do you actually ferment the banana peels? Or just brew in a tea? I have had good luck making ferments in glass jars... Using very minimal amounts on my no till when appropriate..
Ive herd duke diamond say he uses cranberry juice in some way? I would like to know how HE uses it and what he says about the topic.
I have been getting best results with pomegranate juice myself... (Tred lightly tho its powerful stuff haha) I use raw coconut water and concentrate powder (again be careful if giving too much/at the wrong time can be harmful !!!)
Sulfur and mag and calcium and silica seem to all boost quality/smell/taste as well...
I wish some more people would chime in and trade some info w me on this topic!

RE: adding fruit juice to water source for enhanced terp production - Elka - 10-18-2019

yo j, hope you have been doing well

we recently chopped the plants that were fed the berries and they smelled very nice

i'll let you know the results after the cure

but from the way they stunk when they came down

it seems to me you're onto something with this

peace