SeedsHereNow - Forum
SeedsHereNow - Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help on my grow in coco
Kinda new to forums but this is my grow. I got six Big Smooth plants by Exotic Genetix. They’re in 1 gallon pots with just pure coco coir. The nutrients I use is the Lucas Formula of General Hydroponics 3 part set that just uses micro and bloom. And I also use CalMag since I’m growing in coco. I have done two previous grows in soil which went well but this is my first time using coco which I am running into a couple problems with. One of which I am pretty sure is nutrient burn on plant number 3. And the problem which I am not sure about is overwatering for plants 2,3, and 4. Their leaves are curling down but they are still stiff so I dont think it is under watering. So if u have any tips to help me get them back on track it would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

Hi Thomas. Those are some young plants from seed I can tell. Generally with seedlings at that stage I would just be looking to replant them from solo cups. I have been playing with coco lately as well. The bricks I have tried that expand when water is applied have been very fibrous and course and I suspect the PH value of some cheap coir is no ideal or properly rinsed of salts to begin with. Coco Loco is a really good mix to use as it has perlite and worm castings etc in it already. Basically you can plant something in it and just water it for the next few weeks with no need to feed. Very good drainage as well. In the seedling stage it is easy to kill them with kindness and they are still very sensitive at the stage.

Also you say they are being fed the Lucas formula with no grow. Looks like you are trying to set them right into bloom. A seed needs to grow as an adolescent before being treated as a plant ready to flower. I would go 1-2-3 formula right now being 2 parts micro, 3 parts grow, and 1 part bloom with a ppm of maybe 300 ppm at most for the stage you are at. Another great fert for coco is Cutting edge solutions line...similar to GH 3 part series but a "cleaner" nutrient IMO. Your plants are not ready for bloom yet. They need nitrogen to get a nice root mass going to build strong growth up top. I see you are in a tent and height is prob a concern but you will do better by vegging those a while to allow them to get to about 2 months old before inducing flowering. You can't expect a 5 year old to be ready to do what an adult can do so just look at is as you have young kids on your hands that need time to grow and mature before making them become adults. Watch you plants and don't kill them with kindness....watch them daily and let them tell you what they need for now. Good luck!
Any chance that coco was/is hydrophobic? Are you using a wetting agent like yucca?
hope they bounce back.
(02-16-2019, 07:15 AM)pipe.north Wrote: Any chance that coco was/is hydrophobic? Are you using a wetting agent like yucca?
hope they bounce back.

To me it seems like the opposite they absorb and hold to much water for a long time. But yeah in the last couple days they have started looking better.
I have been keeping an eye on this thread. How are they looking now?
(02-21-2019, 02:47 PM)Rob_HereNow Wrote: I have been keeping an eye on this thread. How are they looking now?

There looking better. Still just figuring things out as I go. I just topped the one on the left.

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

Lucas formula is pretty bulletproof IMO. At that stage of growth you might be running into overfert problems if you're using the full strength Lucas. Also, overwatering, or stagnant water in medium....if there isn't a big root formation, excessive water in moisture can 'sour' the coco...causing pH problems, and lower oxygen at rootzone, so be cautious oversaturing your medium when the plants are young.

The lucas formula doesn't use the 'green' GH three part bottle. The micro and bloom have enough N for the entire growth -- from veg to flower.
Hello Thomas
 I grow in Coco too,  I mix perlite in my Coco to help loosen it up alittle.  They look good,  maybe just alittle locked out.  Just check your ph coming out of the bottom,  an the EC levels an you'll have a good idea if your using to much fertilizer.
  I see burnt tips,  so it makes me think of to high a fertilizer.  I found I use allot less Ferts, when using Coco. It's so easy to want to feed them. Less is better,  I hope the best and good luck
Loos good it will get better
(02-13-2019, 08:28 PM)Thomas_707 Wrote: Kinda new to forums but this is my grow. I got six Big Smooth plants by Exotic Genetix. They’re in 1 gallon pots with just pure coco coir. The nutrients I use is the Lucas Formula of General Hydroponics 3 part set that just uses micro and bloom. And I also use CalMag since I’m growing in coco. I have done two previous grows in soil which went well but this is my first time using coco which I am running into a couple problems with. One of which I am pretty sure is nutrient burn on plant number 3. And the problem which I am not sure about is overwatering for plants 2,3, and 4. Their leaves are curling down but they are still stiff so I dont think it is under watering. So if u have any tips to help me get them back on track it would be very much appreciated.

Hey there how you doing. I think I may be able to help you. First thing I have grown big smooth from exotic genetics and it is deff a winner. I found 2 phenos out of A 10 pack that were keepers both of which had no problem producing. I do not know how often you are watering but coco can be overwatered. I know everyone says it can't `but if your root zone does not fill out the pot it is easy to overwater. I'm not saying to let them completely dry out but until you have that root zone filled out I only water about every other day. You never want to let dry out completely the salts will concentrate and burn the plants which will make you think your feed was too hot. I would say the drooping is from overwatering. also some kind of microbe product once a week will help with uptake and balance. I suggest something like a product called recharge. Another thing that can effect you is the quality of coco. I use canna for I found them to be the best. I recently had some royal gold given to me. I thought hey maybe I can save some money but it worked against me. Check your runoff next time you water you should be really close to whats going in so if your nutrient mix is 700ppm and 5.8 thats what it should come out at or very close. hope this helps.